These roses were carefully wrapped so we could bring them back on the airplane. They've been happily blooming in their respective vases this week. I can't get over how gorgeous and unique they are!
Wednesday, June 29, 2011
Gorgeous wildflowers everywhere
Roses at the nursery
Fruit trees at the nursery
Shopping at the Japanese grocery store and market
Shabu shabu at Japantown
Roses to bring home!
Saturday, June 25, 2011
Who knew that these three items...
...would produce this deliciousness
Served with water crackers and apples
Grab your plate and fill up!
A couple of tips I gathered from the internet:
- Slice cheese horizontally and place jam in the middle (like a sandwich)
- Freeze the pastry and cheese so it all bakes at an even temperature
- Bake it in a pan you will serve it in (just in case it gets messy)
Wednesday, June 22, 2011
Monday, June 20, 2011
Friday, June 17, 2011
I love the tiny grains of orzo pasta and this dish is a great accompaniment to some grilled fish or steak and is satisfying on its own as well. I looked up various orzo recipes and then kind of used what I had in the house to make it work. Here's what I remember...
- 1 cup dry orzo
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 sweet onion
- 1/2 bag of spinach
- cherry tomatoes (as many as you'd like, ours came from our garden!)
- Parmesan cheese
- Bring water to a boil and cook orzo, drain when al dente
- In a separate saucepan, sautee minced garlic and onion in olive oil
- Add in cooked orzo and spinach until wilted
- Add cherry tomatoes and Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste (I may have added in a bit of truffle oil and salt)
Thursday, June 16, 2011
My June Foodzie box arrived yesterday and I was so excited to find these delicious and sizable samples of:
Wednesday, June 15, 2011
Tuesday, June 14, 2011
Our house is on Real Simple! Well, rather a drawing of our house at least :) Back when we moved a year or so ago, I ordered these great moving announcements from Duetletterpress. The lovely Julie hand drew our house from a picture I sent her, and then letterpressed the image onto the announcements. They were recently featured on Real Simple's website here. I wish that they had mentioned the hand drawn aspect because that to me is the most unique aspect of these announcements. Nonetheless, what a great mention--congrats Duetletterpress and thank you so much for our wonderful cards!
Monday, June 13, 2011
Friday, June 10, 2011
My cooking skills always decline in the summer and I've been searching for easy, light and fresh recipes to add to the rotation. Corn salsa is B's favorite, using it to top a burrito rice bowl or serve on the side with grilled chicken. Add some black beans and you have an amazing corn and bean dip as well! The freshly squeezed lime helps keep it light and refreshing. What are some of your favorite summer recipes?
Corn salsa (+ bean dip)
- 15 oz. cans black beans (add if you want the bean dip)
- 2 peeled, seeded and diced tomatoes (cherry tomatoes work great as well)
- 1/2 bag frozen sweet corn
- about 1/2-3/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 2 jalapenos chopped
- 1/2 red onion chopped
- 2-3 fresh limes
- salt to taste
- Chop up cilantro, jalapenos, red onion and tomatoes (a food processor is amazing for this)
- Add black beans, corn
- Squeeze lime juice in, mix and add salt to taste
Thursday, June 9, 2011
Tuesday, June 7, 2011
Here's some great chocolate I picked up in London (I love to shop at the duty free shop!). I love the different varieties and think that Cadbury is the best in the whole world.
You're probably wondering who has this much time to spend staging and taking pictures of chocolate? That would be me and I'm not afraid to say it, that is after I finish this mouthful of chocolate.
Monday, June 6, 2011
Presenting my favorite $1 find scored at an estate sale this past weekend. This vintage hand towel is in perfect condition and has the most amazing Aztec? Incan? Mayan? graphics. Here's a closeup:
Super cool right?
Friday, June 3, 2011
Isn't this the cutest thing you've ever seen?? Big thanks to Jill who saved this little guy from the clutches of her husband for me!
Here's Link checking it out--he has been doing better the past couple of days but just relapsed this morning and is back at the vet so please do keep thinking about him!