This was one of my favorite treats growing up in Singapore. It's basically a chewy pancake filled with crushed peanuts and sugar. Fillings also include sweet red bean paste, coconut, or kaya jam. I stumbled upon some great Singaporean/Malaysian food blogs lately and they have triggered my longing for foods from home. I was so excited that this was relatively simple to make!
Peanut Pancake (Apam Balik)
- 1 cup All Purpose flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 3 tbsp Sugar
- 1 Large egg
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup soy milk/milk
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Filling (which can be crushed peanuts mixed with sugar, jam, or Nutella in BK's case)
- Whisk dry ingredients and then add in egg, milk and vanilla
- Let the batter sit and bubble for a bit while you heat your nonstick pan up to medium
- Pour a thin layer of batter in the pan and let it cook/bubble
- Add your filling when batter is all the way cooked
- Flip into a semi-circle, cut and serve warm!