Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Wishlist Wednesday: Pyrex


Pyrex was first introduced in 1915 and since then a myriad of fun colorful designs have been well used and loved in households around the world.  Older Pyrex and European Pyrex are made of borosilicate glass which has a high thermal resistance and is often used in the manufacture of laboratory ware.  Newer Pyrex is made of a different and less heat resistant glass (hence the stories of "exploding pyrex").  I tend to favor the older ones, but that's because there are so many gorgeous patterns out there to collect!

It seems I am not the only one who loves Pyrex.  Pyrexlove and a flickr group dedicated exclusively to Pyrex are a great resource in helping to identify patterns and so fun to browse through pictures as well.

Here are several of my favorites, gathered from google images.


3 comments:

  1. I have a lot of older Pyrex, picked up at garage sales and antique shops. I love the covered refrigerator dishes, the ones in the third picture down in yellow, red and blue. I've collected a number of those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh YES! Refrigerator dishes are my absolute favorite. I've only been able to find two little red ones so far in my price range. Cherish yours! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so love these Pyrex wares. They are not just heat resistant but they are also so pleasing to the eyes. My mom has lots of these and yes, she also loves her refrigerator Pyrex dishes. I think she has about 5 of them and she is still out for more. Thank you for sharing. I really think she will be glad to see this post.

    ReplyDelete