Friday, May 28, 2010

Favorite Friday Recipe: Cucumber sandwiches


Summer is officially upon us here in Texas and that always puts me in the mood for lighter fare such as sandwiches and salads for meals.  These open face cucumber sandwiches are perfect for a late afternoon tea or snack and are super easy to assemble.

First, slice your cucumbers thinly.  I love using mini cucumbers because they are seedless and sweet.  (you can get a big bag of them at Costco for a great price)


Then lay out the slices on a paper towel to absorb any excess water


If you have any leftover stumps, you can feed them to anyone lurking around...


Wash your hands if you participated in the above step.  Then begin to cut out pieces of bread.  Note: you can just make the sandwiches and cut them into squares, triangles, whatever you want.  I felt like circles that day so I went with that.  Also, you can use any type of soft bread of your choosing (like wheat, rye, etc.), I went with thin white because that felt more classic tea time to me.



Once your bread is cut into shapes, spread seasoned cream cheese on the surface.  Some recipes call for mixing cream cheese and a dry Italian dressing packet.  It would save you a step to just go with a pre flavored garden vegetable cream cheese or another flavor of your choice.  I chose a garlic and chive flavored cream cheese.


Next, top with your cucumber slice (this was a prototype with two, after taste tests, I went with one slice as it was easier to eat!)


And sprinkle with a bit of dill to finish (this little seasoning truly makes the flavors come together and it looks fancy and pretty with minimal effort)


Another great thing about this appetizer is that you can stack the sandwiches and they're perfect for bringing to a party! (if you don't eat half of them before it's time to leave)


Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Having hit 100 and realizing we're heading into summer whether I like it or not, I am always looking for something easy to make, easy to eat and cool. I'm definitely going to try this.

    ReplyDelete