Sunday, January 10, 2010
Look I actually made something!
I am proud of my first wreath project here for many reasons. (1) Because I actually braved the craft store to get supplies (2) Because I didn't give up or get distracted and wander away and actually completed this wreath. And (3)because I actually took a picture of it. I've realized that one of my biggest challenges will be pictures for this blog. Words I've got, pictures are a bit trickier to attain.
Anyways, I was inspired to make this wreath by a post on designsponge, one of my favorite blogs. The original instructions called for some sort of twine/rope and to use Scotch Brite sponges and those crinkle scissors to give the leaves texture.
After two failed attempts to remember to pick up Scotch Brite at Target, I went with felt instead. I also got very overwhelmed at Michaels (craft store) and decided to go with yarn instead of the twine. I liked the way it turned out but note to self: when wrapping wreath forms, go with larger/wider yarn--this thing took forever to cover! The felt leaves I could've been more careful about cutting but at that point (Dec 23) I was already out of time to even display the wreath. B and I saw the little blue bird at Michaels and couldn't resist. Yes I am that crazy bird lady.
Here's the breakdown:
Wreath form: $3.99
Little blue bird: $1.99
Total cost: $10.48 before tax
Total time: 1.5 hrs (but spaced out with many internet breaks)
Closeup of finished project:
Feeling somewhat ambitious after this, I've decided to try to make one wreath a month for the next year. I hope I haven't peaked too early.