Thursday, June 3, 2010

DIY: Linen leaves mobile


It's been a while since I've showcased something I've made (that wasn't edible).  This is a project I took on a couple of months ago which promptly was abandoned for greener pastures.  Fortunately, I came upon them this weekend and in a burst of energy decided to finish it.

Inspired by Shim and Sons, I cut out little leaves from linen fabric.  I chose the neutral palette to go with our kitchen and the fabric has great texture and nubbiness which adds some dimension. To attach them, I debated the merits of hauling out my sewing machine, trying to wind the bobbin, navigate the foot pedal and sew all the leaves together in a straight line versus simply sewing them by hand while catching up on the previous season of Lost.  (oh Lost how I've missed you!)  It did take a while to sew them all together by hand but it was less stress in the end.

The linen leaf chains were then attached to a bamboo rod and B hung it all up against our kitchen window.  This little mobile is not only pretty, but functional as well now that the neighbors don't have a clear view of me through the window as I wash dishes.  It is also nice to have this as an option versus a curtain as I can still look out into the courtyard.

View from the courtyard looking in (this is what my neighbors see)

No comments:

Post a Comment